Fun & Useful Links
I created the predecessor of these pages in June 1996. They were substantially reconfigured in fall 1997 as part of David K. Jordan's class on Anthropology and the Web, and have undergone further changes as my research and professional interests have evolved.
When this site began, jumpsites collecting and organizing links related to particular themes and interests were very useful, because in those pre-Google days most of the search engines were not. Consequently I have been downsizing the general-interest sections of this site, as a search on Google or Wikipedia can address many of those questions more efficiently.
Due to the insidious phenomenon of link-rot, sites not under my control may change or disappear periodically. Sic transit gloria mundi. I hope these pages will be useful or entertaining.
Actually Fun Stuff
Mainly comics dealing with academia, anthropology, or cultural differences.
- China Comics - China experiences, 1 page at a time
- Hyperbole and a half - a quirky look at childhood and being an adult
- James Lileks’ comics from the not-so distant past
- Scandinavia and the World - mainly about Scandinavian politics, history, and culture, especially as they interact with Europe and America
- Government mind-control technologies using radio or microwaves do not exist. But if they did, it turns out that tinfoil hats would be worse than no protection.
Food & Cooking
- Chicago Reader guide to restaurants in Chicago
- LA Times restaurant reviews
- The Splendid Table with Lynne Rosetto Kasper, one of my favorite podcasts
- WW Recipes recipe and cooking zine by Joe Barkson
- My restaurant reviews on Yelp
Friends’ & Colleagues’ Professional Pages
- Coby Beserra - Great Life Music: rock and blues-type music, performing in the Chicago area and commenting on the Chicago music scene on WBEZ.
- Stuart Davis - painting & photography
- Jan Förster - artwork
- Thomas Locke Hobbs photography
- Yuki Honjo and Japan Review.net
- Mitch McCabe - independent filmmaker of Playing the Part and Youth Knows No Pain
- Eric Heath Prendergast - linguistics and translation
- Petr Prokopík - Prague tour site
- Fuambai Ahmadu - anthropological blog & website on Female Genital Cutting and other topics concerning girls & women’s empowerment in traditional and modern contexts, in Africa and elsewhere.
- Matthew Wolf-Meyer - blog on anthropology of sleep and other topics.
Hoaxes, Urban Legends, Spam, & Virus info
Never again pass on a phony email request to send little Timmy a postcard or warn your friends about fake computer viruses and food scares.